Groundwater in social-ecological systems, groundwater hydrology, sustainability science.
8. [in review] Rohde, M.M., Albano, C.M., Huggins, X., et al. (2022). Mapping groundwater dependent ecosystems globally exposes the fragility of vulnerable ecosystems and communities. (preprint forthcoming)
7. [in revision] Curran, D., Gleeson, T., Huggins, X. (2022). Applying a science-forward approach to groundwater regulatory design. In revision at Hydrogeology Journal.
[link to preprint]
6. [in revision] Huggins, X. Gleeson, T., Castilla-Rho, J.C., Holley, C., Re, V., Famiglietti, J.S. (2022). Groundwater connections and sustainability in social-ecological systems. In review at Groundwater.
[link to preprint]
5. Huggins, X., Gleeson, T., Serrano, D., Zipper, S., Jehn, F., Rohde, M.M., Abell, R., Vigerstol, R., Hartmann, A. (2022). Groundwatersheds of protected areas reveal globally overlooked risks and opportunities. Accepted in principle at Nature Sustainability.
[link to preprint]
4. Mohan, C., et al. [including X. Huggins]. (2022) Poor correlation between large-scale environmental flow violations and freshwater biodiversity: implications for water resource management and the water planetary boundary. Hydrology and Earth Systems Sciences.
[link to paper]
3. Huggins, X., Gleeson, T., Kummu, M., Zipper, S.C., Troy, T.J., Wada, Y., Famiglietti, J. (2022). Hotspots for social and ecological impacts from freshwater stress and storage loss. Nature Communications 13, 439. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-022-28029-w.
[link to paper] See also: associated code and data
2. Diggle, R., Tait, D., Maher, D., Huggins, X., Santos, I. (2019). The role of porewater exchange as a driver of CO2 flux to the atmosphere in a temperate estuary (Squamish, Canada). Environmental Earth Sciences, 78, 1-13.
[link to paper]
1. Huggins, X. Gleeson, T., Eckstrand, H., Kerr, B. (2018). Streamflow Depletion Modeling: Methods for an Adaptable and Conjunctive Water Management Decision Support Tool. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 54, 1-15.
[link to paper]
Gleeson, T., Huggins, X., Connor, R., Arrojo-Agudo, P., Vázquez Suñé, E. (2022). Groundwater and Ecosystems, Chapter 6 of UNESCO Water Development Report 2022: “Groundwater: Making the invisible visible”. [link to chapter][link to report]
9. Huggins, X. et al. (2022). Overlooked risks and opportunities for global protected areas revealed by mapping groundwatersheds. Invited oral presentation at World Water Week 2022. Stockholm, Sweden.
8. Huggins, X. Gleeson, T., Castilla-Rho, J.C., Holley, C., Re, V., Famiglietti, J.S. (2022). Groundwater in complex adaptive social-ecological systems. In absentia poster presentation at 2022 Canadian Water Resources Association National Conference. Canmore, Canada.
7. Huggins, X., Gleeson, T., Kummu, M., Zipper, S., Wada, Y., Troy, T., Famiglietti, J. (2022). Vulnerable basins for global prioritisation: Hotspots for social and ecological impacts from freshwater stress and freshwater storage loss. Solicited oral presentation at the European Geosciences Union General Assembly. Vienna, Austria.
6. Xu, L., Famiglietti, J., Ferris, D., Huggins, X., Mohan, C., Sadri, S., Sanyal, P., Wong, J. (2022). From Coarse Resolution to Realistic Resolution: GRACE as a Science Communication and Policymaking Tool for Sustainable Groundwater Management. Oral presentation at the European Geosciences Union General Assembly. Vienna, Austria.
5. Huggins, X., Gleeson, T., Famiglietti, J. (2021). An open-access interdisciplinary database to facilitate data science on cross-cutting global groundwater sustainability challenges. Remote oral presentation at the Delft International Conference on Sociohydrology. Delft, the Netherlands.
4. Gleeson, T., Huggins, X., Froese, T. (2021). Teaching human- and sustainability-centered design: A civil engineering design spine supported by sustainability muscles and a heart of anti-racism, equity, diversity and inclusion. Oral presentation (pre-recorded) for Let’s Talk about Teaching. Victoria, Canada.
3. Huggins, X., Gleeson, T., Kummu, M., Zipper, S.C., Troy, T.J., Wada, Y., Famiglietti, J. (2020). Sustainability hotspots of changing global freshwater availability. Invited lighting talk at the American Geophysical Union 2020 Fall Meeting. Online. San Francisco, USA.
2. Huggins, X., Gleeson, T., Zipper, S.C., Troy, T.J., Wada, Y., Famiglietti, J.S. (2019). Human dimensions of changing global freshwater availability. Oral presentation at the American Geophysical Union 2019 Fall Meeting. San Franciso, USA.
1. Huggins, X. Gleeson, T., Eckstrand, H., Kerr, B. (2018). Streamflow Depletion Modeling: Methods for an Adaptable and Conjunctive Water Management Decision Support Tool. Oral presentation at the Canadian Water Resources Association Annual Conference. Victoria, BC.
Invited seminar presentations/lectures
6. Overlooked risks and opportunities for global protected areas revealed by mapping groundwatersheds. Presented to the Global Groundwater Group at The Nature Conservancy (online meeting) in November 2022.
5. Groundwater-connected systems: A new approach for groundwater science and sustainability in social-ecological systems. Presented to the Water and Development Research Group at Aalto University (Espoo, Finland) in August 2022.
4. Groundwater-connected systems as complex adaptive social-ecological systems. Presented to IIASA’s Water Security Research Group (Vienna, Austria) for World Water Day in March 2022.
3.The global vulnerability of humans and ecosystems to insufficient freshwater availability. Delivered as part of the Creating a Blue Dialogue Webinar Series: Annual Water Research Roundup, hosted by the POLIS Water Sustainability Project (Victoria, Canada) in March 2022.
2.Engineering for sustainability in a complex world: The role of engineering in addressing grand sustainability challenges. Presented to CIVE 400 (capstone undergraduate civil engineering design course) at the University of Victoria (Victoria, Canada) in January 2022.
1. Groundwater Sustainability Science. Presented to CIVE 445 (fourth year civil engineering groundwater hydrology course) at the University of Victoria (Victoria, Canada) in April 2021.
Community invovlement, outreach & science communication
2022Featured in the Conversation Canada: Ripple effect: As global freshwater basins dry up, the threat to ecosystems and communities grows
2021Panel member in “UVic Water Research and the SDGs: A Panel Discussion” for University of Victoria Global Days.
2020featured in Circle of Blue: Perspecvie: How Does the Coronavirus Pandemic Compare to the Global Groundwater Crisis?
2020Visualization: Water availability stripes
2020Water Day on the Hill. One of two participating graduate students in inaugural event to bring scientists from across Canada to meet with parliamentarians and senior federal officials to raise awareness around water security in Canada. [link to report]
2016-2021Managing editor, waterunderground blog. Groundwater focused blog with >15 academic and professional contributors from 4 continents, hosted by the EGU and AGU blogospheres. [link to blog]
2020-Student member of the Global Institute for Water Security
2022Young Scientists Summer Program, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA).
Peer review activity
- Water Resources Research (n=5)
- Geophysical Research Letters (n=1)
2023University of Victoria President’s Research Scholarship ($5,000)
2022University of Victoria President’s Research Scholarship ($5,000)
2021Howard E. Petch Research Scholarship ($5,000)
2021NSERC Alexander Graham Bell Doctoral Scholarship - CGS D3 ($105,000)
2021University of Victoria President’s Research Scholarship ($5,000)
2020University of Victoria Graduate Student Award ($3,500)
2019OSPA - AGU Fall Meeting Outstanding Student Presentation Award (US$200)
2018NSERC Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship - Masters - CGS M ($17,500)
2018University of Victoria President’s Research Scholarship ($4,000)
2018Professr Ross W. Irwin Scholarship in Water Resources ($1,000)
2018Raymond Theodore Guther Memorial Scholarship ($2,000)
- Sustainability Fundamentals for Groundwater Hydrologists (click here to download slide deck). Huggins, X, Gleeson, T. (2022).
- Groundwater Resources and Global Change (click here to download slide deck). Gleeson, T., Huggins, X. (2022).
- Environmental Justice Fundamentals for Groundwater Hydrologists (click here to download slide deck). Gleeson, T., Mohan, C., Okibe, S., Horoscoe, N., Huggins, X., Ng, C., Jacoby, A. (2022).
Teaching assistant roles
2021CIVE Integrating Sustainability and Anti-Racism Training into CIVE Curriculum
2021CIVE 445: Groundwater hydrology
2020,2019CIVE 345: Fluid Mechanics
2020CIVE 440: Hydrology and Hydraulics
2019CIVE 340: Sustainable Water Resources
- mean overall TA effectiveness score: 9.52/10 (n=47)
2019 - est.2024
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Victoria
- Research topic: Groundwater sustainability in complex social-ecological systems
- Co-supervised by Dr. Tom Gleeson (UVic) & Dr. Jay Famiglietti (USask)
- Fast-track entry from MASc, May/2020
- Candidacy exam passed in November 2020
- Advanced physical hydrogeology (97), Process-based hydrological modelling (100),
- Groundwater and the food-energy-water nexus (95), Sustainability in Theory and Practice (99), Industrial metabolism (96)
2013 - 2018
Bachelor of Water Resources Engineering with Distinction, University of Guelph
- Capstone Design: Biomimetic principles and low impact developments: A sustainable model for future community growth
- core design competencies:
- Watershed systems design, Urban water systems design,
- Soil water conservation systems design, Engineering systems analysis, Groundwater engineering